FAQs | Doctor Discussion Guide
Your DVT Doctor Discussion Guide
1. ABOUT DVT
- What is DVT?
- What is the likely cause of my DVT?
- What are my chances of having another episode of DVT? Are there ways to help prevent getting another clot?
2. LONG-TERM HEALTH ISSUES
- What are the long-term health complications associated with DVT blood clots?
- Am I at risk for long-term complications?
- Is there anything I can do to reduce my risk for long-term complications?
- What is post-thrombotic syndrome (PTS)?
- Am I at risk for post-thrombotic syndrome (PTS)? If so, is there anything I can do to reduce my risk?
- What is my risk of pulmonary embolism and what can I do to avoid it?
3. TREATMENT OPTIONS
- How long will I have to stay on blood thinners?
- What therapies should I consider other than blood thinners and compression stockings?
- Will blood thinners remove the clot? Are there any treatment options that will help remove the clot?
- What if I can’t take blood thinners or if the clot is really big?
- Are there treatments that will reduce my risk for post-thrombotic syndrome (PTS)? Am I a candidate for those treatments?
- Should I see a specialist about my DVT treatment options?
- Do I need to limit my physical activity until the clot clears? Can I exercise during treatment?
- Is it safe for me to travel with DVT? Do I need to take any precautions when traveling?
- What lifestyle changes can I make to help reduce my risk of having another clot?
- Is there anything I can do to reduce my risk of pulmonary embolism and post-thrombotic syndrome (PTS)?
READ MORE ARTICLES
The Risk of Blood Clots During Travel
Why the chance of getting a blood clot increases when you travel and ways to help prevent it.
What is May-Thurner Syndrome?
Learn what causes May-Thurner Syndrome, its symptoms, and how it can be treated.
Genetic DVT Factors
Read about how genetics can play a role in the development of DVT and what to do if
you might be at risk.
TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR
FROM UNDERSTANDING YOUR RISK OF COMPLICATIONS TO FINDING OUT ABOUT YOUR TREATMENT OPTIONS, OUR DOCTOR DISCUSSION GUIDE HAS IMPORTANT QUESTIONS TO ASK YOUR DOCTOR TO HELP CLEAR UP THE CONFUSION ABOUT DVT.